N Market Street
(Rice Park & Landmark Plaza)
Charles Schultz's Peanuts characters
Charles Monroe Schultz
Minneapolis 1922 - Santa Rosa, Calif. 2000
American cartoonist, creator of the comic strip Peanuts, one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium
Five sculptures depicting Charles Schultz's Peanuts characters:
1. Charlie Brown and Snoopy
2. Lucy and Schroeder
3. Linus and Sally
4. Marcie and Woodstock
5. "Peppermint" Patty
Landmark Plaza (2003):
- Charlie Brown and Snoopy: Charlie Brown is sitting under a huge tree enjoying the shade and spending time with Snoopy, while Snoopy is dreaming of being a World War I Flying Ace, a world famous writer, or of being the first beagle to land on the moon
- Charlie Brown, the main protagonist (Wikipedia).
- Snoopy, Charlie Brown's pet beagle (Wikipedia).
- Lucy and Schroeder: Lucy van Pelt is seen listening to Schroeder play the piano. Lucy is in love with Schroeder, but Schroeder's love is playing the music of Beethoven.
- Lucy Van Pelt, a crabby and cynical eight-year old girl and older sister of Linus, she is in love with Schroeder (Wikipedia).
- Schroeder distinguished by his precocious skill at playing the toy piano (Wikipedia).
- Linus and Sally: Sally and Linus van Pelt discussing the events of the day. Linus likes to see himself as a mentor. Sally is in love with Linus. Sally has a gift for her 'sweet babboo', but Linus will have no part of it.
- Linus Van Pelt, best friend of Charlie Brown (Wikipedia).
- Sally Brown, younger sister of Charlie Brown (Wikipedia).
Rice Park (2004):
- Marcie and Woodstock: Marcie Johnson is Peppermint Patty's best friend. While Patty is an athlete, Marcie is an intellectual. It would not be uncommon to see her reading a book even on a warm summer afternoon. In the view below, we see Woodstock (the bird) is reading over Marcie's shoulder.
- Marcie Johnson, best friend to tomboy Peppermint Patty (Wikipedia).
- Woodstock, bird, Snoopy's closest friend (Wikipedia).
- "Peppermint" Patty: Peppermint Patty is a star athlete. While her baseball team regularly beats, trounces, and even destroys Charlie Brown's team, in this scene, we see Patty playing football.
- Patricia "Peppermint Patty" Reichardt, lives across town from Charlie Brown (Wikipedia).
Some signed: © UFS, Inc.
(United Features has legal ownership of the strip).
The statues provide a lasting legacy to Charles Schulz, Saint Paul's native son, for everyone to enjoy for years to come! These sculptures were designed to be child-friendly with no sharp corners and coated with a special substance so they won't get too hot in the sun. These bronze characters were the permanent result of the multiple Peanuts on Parade displays where fiberglass sculptures of Peanuts characters were displayed throughout the Twin Cities.
The three sculptures on Landmark Plaze were unveiled 21 September 2003.
3D sculpting and design studio, established 1980, in St. Paul
Sources & Information
Location (N 44°56'42" - W 93°5'48")
Item Code: usmn40; Photograph: 23 October 2010
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt