Moscow - Москва
Prospekt Mira 111
Проспект Мира 111
(Cosmonauts Alley - Аллея Космонавтов)
Валентин Петрович Глушко
Valentin Petrovich Glushko
Odessa 1908 - 1989
Soviet engineer, and the principal Soviet "Chief Designer" of spacecraft and rockets during the Soviet/American Space Race
Gray granite half-length figure.
и космических систем
of rocket engines
and space systems
Cosmonauts Alley - Аллея Космонавтов
The Cosmonauts Alley is a 275 m long and 15 m wide pedestrian-only avenue in northern Moscow leading from the intersection Prospekt Mira / Ostankinskiy proyezd in the south to the Memorial Museum of Astronautics - Мемориальный музей космонавтики with the Monument to the Conquerors of Space to the north.
In the center of the avenue is a series of los granite form shaped as stars with on text plaques the history of Soviet Space Research. Further there are several monuments.
Click here for a interactive map with the locations of the statues.
- The beginning of the avenue is flanked by large bronze celestial and terrestrial globes, sculpted by Salavat & Sergey Shcherbakov.
- At 2/3 of the length is a roundabout with a bronze model of the solar system, sculpted by Salavat & Sergey Shcherbakov.
- To the west of this Solar system model is a large bronze statue of Sergey Korolëv, sculpted by Salavat & Sergey Shcherbakov.
- On the west side of the square in front of the the Monument to the Conquerors of Space are two granite statues, both by Yuriy Chernov and erected in 1981
Originally, here was a third granite statue of Sergey Korolëv by Andrey Faydysh-Krandiyevskiy, this was with the reconstruction of 2008 placed in the museum. A new bronze statue of Korolëv was placed along the alley.
- On the east side of the same square is the Alley of the Heroes of Space with five busts of Russian cosmonauts (Gagarin, Tereshkova, Belyayev, Leonov, and Komarov), placed in October 1967 for the 10th anniversary of launching the first artificial satellite.
- On the north side of that square is a granite statue of Soviet rocket pioneer
- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, sitting facing back down the avenue.
- The avenue ends at the Monument to the Conquerors of Space.
- Yuriy L'vovich Chernov - Юрий Львович Чернов (Moscow 1935),
Soviet Russian sculptor
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 55°49'19" - E 37°38'20") (Satellite view: Google Maps)
Item Code: ru175; Photograph: 14 July 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.