On the pedestal:
The statue stood always on the in the center of the Glorieta Colón, a roundabout at the junction of the Avenida de Las Americas and the López Mateos Norte, but changed quite a lot.
1. First the statue was placed on a square pedestal of bricks or sandstones, with text starting with JALISCO, in the center of a fountain (see the first photo and the postcard).
2. Then it was placed on a high round column of concrete blocks, the lay out of the Glorieta was altered.
3. This roundabout was reconstructed to an intersection with a pedestrian underpass, with the monument in the center. The column got at the side a huge 'sail' of steel pipes.
This monument on postcards
Sources & Information
- Photo by Dennis Reinhartz, October 2002; second photo unknown, it shows a different pedestal.
- Monumento a Colón mentioned on Familia Virtual, Guadalajara, Jalisco (website gone)
- Sitios de Interés (PDF-file) (website gone)
- Photo intersection: Miguel Angel Regaladů, 9 Aug. 2007. See Miguel Angel Regaladů's photos on Panoramio.
Location (N 20°41'45" - W 103°22'23")
Item Code: mx003;
Added: 19 August 2003
/ Updated: 9 September 2009
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.