Cathédrale: Portail du nord
The north portal of the Cathredal shows six statues of saints:
- (in a niche above the door) La Vierge à l'enfant - St. Mary with child, St. Mary is crowned and holds a cross staff, the child has an orb.
- (top of the portal) St. Nicolas - St. Nicholas - (4th century), Bishop of Myra
- (top left) St. Pierre - St. Peter - (possibly died AD 67), apostle, first pope; patron saint of locksmiths and confessors. Usually holding the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven in his hand
- (top right) St. Paul - the Apostle, (c. 5 - c. 67 ), persecuted the early followers of Jesus before switching sides and seeking to join them. He was instrumental in creating the Christian Church. He is the protector of tent-makers, theologians and the ecclesiastical press and is depicted with a sword.
In niches next to the door are statues of
- (left) St. Ignace de Loyola - St. Ignatius of Loyola - B.P. / Ignativs / Fvndator / Societatis / Iesv.
(1491-1556), Spanish knight from a Basque noble family, hermit, priest since 1537, and theologian, founded the Society of Jesus and was its first Superior General
- (right) St. François Xavier - St. Francis Xavier - B.P. / Franciscus / Xaverius / Societatis / Iesv.
(Javier, Navarra 1506 - São João Island, China, 1552), pioneering Roman Catholic missionary, co-founder of the Society of Jesus
Sources & Information
- De Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal Luxemburg (Regensburg; Schnell & Steiner, 1996).
Location (N 49°36'35" - E 6°7'53")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: lu011; Photograph: 16 June 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.