Boulevard Franklin D. Roosevelt
Cathédrale: Portail de Sainte-Marie
1935/38 and 1952
Central pillar: a statue of Mary with Child (added 1953).
Reliefs on the columns between the window above the doors, showing the saints of the Luxembourg church (left to right):
- Pierre de Luxembourg / Peter of Luxemburg (1369-1387), bishop of Metz, beatified in 1527 (Wikipedia).
- St. Willibrord (c. 658-739), missionary saint, known as the "Apostle to the Frisians" in the modern Netherlands. He became the first Bishop of Utrecht and died at Echternach, Luxembourg (Wikipedia).
- Ste. Cunégonde de Luxembourg / St. Cunigunde of Luxembourg (c. 975-1040), wife of the Holy Roman Emperor Saint Henry II. She is the Patroness of Luxembourg (Wikipedia).
- St. Henri II du Saint-Empire / St. Henry II (972-1024), Holy Roman Emperor (Wikipedia).
- St. Hubert de Liège / St. Hubertus (c. 656/658-727), Apostle of the Ardennes and the first Bishop of Liège (Wikipedia).
- Schetzelo, also called Schetzel (d. 1139), hermit, who lived in the Grünewald.
Eight scenes showing the Creation and the Fall of Man
Signed: (St. Mary) a. trémont / h. demuth
- Auguste Trémont (Luxembourg 1893 - Luxembourg 1980),
Luxembourgian sculptor and painter. He specialised in sculptures of animals, with a particular emphasis on big cats
Sources & Information
- De Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal Luxemburg (Regensburg; Schnell & Steiner, 1996).
Location (N 49°36'33" - E 6°7'51")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: lu010; Photograph: 16 June 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.