Blue tile mural, depicting of Mary, crowned and with a sceptre, with child; with the coats-of-arms of Luxembourg and Mondorf-les-Bains
paroChIanI eX MonDorf
Signed: lé tanson
Depictions of Saint Mary
Saint Mary, as the mother of Jesus Christ, has a central role in the life of the Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic veneration of her as the Blessed Virgin Mary has grown over time both in importance and manifestation, not only in prayer but in art, poetry and music.
She is usually depicted as a beautiful young woman, with a (blue) mantle. In the majority of the depictions she is having the Infant Jesus in her arms or on her lap.
Attributes of Saint Mary:
- A crown of 12 stars (Relevation 12:1), sometimes 7 stars.
- A royal crown, sometimes also a scepter: Mary Queen of Heaven.
- Standing on a globe.
- Standing on the crescent moon (Relevation 12:1).
- Crushing the serpent (sometimes a dragon) under her feet. The serpent can have an apple in his mouth (Genesis 3:15). A special depiction is where Jesus impales the serpent with a spear-cross.
- Flowers: Lily (symbol of virginity and purity), roses (Mary's mystical participation in the Holy Trinity as Heaven's Rose or Mystical Rose), iris or "Sword Lily" (emblem of Our Lady's Seven Sorrows), fleur-de-lis (resembling both the Iris and the Madonna Lily)
The Infant Jesus sometimes has some attributes too:
- a crown and/or a royal orb (usually in combination with Mary as Queen of Heaven)
- making a blessing gesture
- Léon (Lé) Tanson (Bettembourg 1914 - Mondorf-les-Bains 1999),
Location (N 49°30'20" - E 6°16'13")
Item Code: lu004
; Photograph: 15 June 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form
(in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.