Ireland

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath
Co. Dublin - Contae Átha Cliath

Temple Bar, D2
(The Temple Bar)

Sir William Temple

1555 - 1627
English Ramist logician and fourth Provost of Trinity College Dublin
(Wikipedia)
artist unknown
date?

Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath /  Sir William Temple   Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath /  Sir William Temple

Description

Two identical plaques on the wall of the Temple Bar.
NB: the gold coloured oval shield in the right-hand photo is the marker of the James Joyce Pub Award, see a description here. Between both plaques are large plaques with portraits of Sir William Temple and Lady Martha Temple.

Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath - Sit William Temple Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath - Sit William Temple Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath - Sit William Temple Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath - Sit William Temple

NB: He should not be confused with his eponymous grandson, who was Master of the Rolls in Ireland from 1680 to 1689.

Inscription(s)

Sir William Temple
(1555-1627)

In 1599, Sir William Temple, a renowned teacher and philosopher,
entered the service of the Lord Deputy Of Ireland. IN 1609
Temple was made Provost of Trinity College, Dublin and Master
Chancery in Ireland and moved to this country.

Sir William Temple built his house and gardens on newly
reclaimed land here on the corner of Temple Lane and the street
called Temple Bar. Im 1656, his son, Sir John Temple, acquired
additional land, which with reclamation made possible by the
building of a new sea wall, allowed the development of the area
we now know as Temple Bar.

In the 17th century 'Bart' (later shortened to Bar) usually meant
a raised estuary sandbank often used for walking on. Thus the
river Liffey embankment alongside the Temple family's plot
became known as Temple's or simnply Temple Bar. Later this
evolved into the present thoroughfare connecting this whole area
from Westmoreland Street to Fishamble Street.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Locatie (N 53°20'43" - W 6°15'51") (Satellite view: Google Maps)

Item Code: ie351; Photograph: 21 June 2023
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt

Bronzefiguren Kaufen

Your banner here? Click for information.