Ireland

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath
Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath

College Green
(Bank of Ireland - House of Commons entrance)

Hibernia, Fidelity and Commerce

Various sculptors
1804

Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath /  Hibernia, Fidelity and Commerce   Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath /  Hibernia, Fidelity and Commerce

Description

Three statues on the pediment of the southern portico of the Bank of Ireland, the former Irish Parliament building. They represent:
  1. left: Fidelity or Wisdom, without attributes.
  2. center: Hibernia, with an olive branch.
  3. right: Commerce, with a rudder (showing a trident and a caduceus) and a ship's prow.

    Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath / Hibernia, Fidelity and Commerce
    1
    Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath / Hibernia, Fidelity and Commerce
    2
    Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath / Hibernia, Fidelity and Commerce
    3
The building was designed by Edward Lovett Pearce and built 1729-1739. The statues were added in 1804 with the changes made to fit it for its new purpose as the Bank of Ireland. They were executed by Smyth from designs by Flaxman.

"The four central columns support a pediment, whose tympanum is ornamented by the Royal Arms, and on its apex is placed a statue of Hibernia, with one of Fidelity, on her right, and another of Commerce, on her left. These statues were executed by our fellow citizen, John Smyth, that of Hibernia being modelled by his father [Edward Smyth], and the other two by the celebrated Flaxman" (From The Dublin Penny Journal, Volume 1, Number 25, December 15, 1832, on-line).

Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath / Hibernia, Fidelity and Commerce

Sculptors

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 53°20'40" - W 6°15'36")

Item Code: ie074; Photograph: 13 June 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt