The exterior of the building is richly adorned with sculptures and coats-of-arms by Thomas Banks, Agnostino Carlini and Edward Smyth who carved a series of sculpted keystones symbolising the rivers of Ireland.
Main south facade, facing the river:
- 1. Relief on the main pediment: Friendly Union of Great Britain and Ireland with Neptune driving away Famine and Despair, sculpted by Edward Smyth after a design by Agostino Carlini.
- Above the pediment stand four statues representing:
The statues of Plenty and Industry are by Edward Smyth, Mercury and Neptune by Agostino Carlini.
- Plenty, with a cornucopia.
- Industry, with a bee-hive.
- 6. At the top of the dome stands a large figure of Commerce, with an anchor, by Edward Smyth.
On the north facade, at Beresford Place, are on the portico personifications of the four continents, by the sculptor Joseph Banks:
- Europe, with a cornucopia, a sword and a helmet.
- Asia, in a full dress and with an odd headgear.
- Africa, half nude woman with frizzy hair and a strange headgear.
- America, woman with feathers as headgear.
- Joseph Banks,
- Agostino Carlini (1718? - 1790)
Italian sculptor and painter, who was born in Genoa but settled in England
- Edward Smyth (Meath 1749 - 1812),
Walter Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913) (on-line).
Sources & Information
Location (N 53°20'55" - W 6°15'11")
Item Code: ie055; Photograph: 11 June 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt