Statues - Hither & Thither
Yorkshire & Humberside
Queen VictoriaLondon 1819 - Osborne House 1901
Queen of Great-Britain, 1837-1901
Description from the Leeds Mercury of 7 October 1887:
This is a statue of the Queen in white marble, presented to the town by the Mayor (Ald. Ellis). It has been erected in the triangular space in front of the railway station (...). The statue finds a place in a stone structure in the Decorated Gothic style, verging upon the Perpendicular. There are, so to speak, three stories. The lower one forms the pedestal. This is square, and has at each angle a granite shaft, surmounted by a lion rampant and shield. One of the panels bears an inscription stating the object and date of the momument. The second or principal story is an arched canopy, under which the statue stands, and this is supported by piers with granite shafts. The arches are decorated, and there are crooketed gablets and pinnacles, the centre of each gablet having a trefoiled panel, with the borough coat-of-arne. The upper story takes the form of a graceful spire. The height of the monument is 45ft., and the base Is 9ft. 6in. square, the whole being enclosed by an Ornamental railing. The statue is 6ft. 6in. in height, and has been carved out of a block of Sicilian marble weighing 4½ tons. Her Majesty is represented standing with the sceptre in her right hand, and the pose it carm and dignified. She wears the Imperial crown, and is attired in a reception dress trimmed with lace. Upon her breast is the Order of the Garter and that of Victoria and Albert. Her necklace contains the famous Koh-i-Noor. The train of the dress is graefily arranged, and the design generally is admirable. The more strking feature of the statue, however, is the faithful likeness of Her Majesty which the sculptor, Mr. Webber, has presented.
The statues was unveiled by the Marquess of Ripon 6 October 1887.
The architects of the monument were Messr. H.E. and A. Brown of Harrogate.
justice of the peace
west riding of yorkshire
of this borough
and presented hy him
to his native town
was laid by
april 14th 1887
Via the links below you can find the position:
|The maps or satellite photos appear in a new window|
Your banner here? Click for information.