Statue from Carrara Marble.
free trade -
is the gift of the late
GEORGE HENRY BOOTH
a citizen of the united states of america
and is intended to mark his appreciation
of the character and labours of the late
as well as to serve as a memorial of
the donors residence for many years
as a merchant in bradford
Signed: t. butler Sculpr / london 1876
The Wool Exchange symbolises the great wealth and importance which Bradford had gained from the wool trade by the mid 19th century. It was completed in 1857 to the design of Lockwood and Mawson, won in open competition, and the foundation stone was laid in 1864 by the then Prime Minister, Lord Palmerston. It is ornate 'Venetian Gothic' in style with very decorative roof parapets and pinnacles. Flanking the porched entrance below the tower are statues of Bishop Blaise, the patron saint of woolcombers, and King Edward III who greatly promoted the wool trade. Between the ground floor arches are carved portraits of notable people.
Inside there is this statue of Richard Cobden, unveiled by the Rt. Hon. John Bright M.P. on 25 July 1877. The statue is a gift from George Henry Booth, from the
United States of America, who was a partner in the firm Firth Booth and Co., Stuff Merchants in Bradford.
- Timothy Butler (1806-1879), British sculptor.
Sources & Information
- Jane Winfrey, Bradford's Sculpture Trail, Bradford City Centre Management, 2003 (PDF on-line).
- Vic Allen, Monumental Oversights: Public sculpture in Yorkshire (Halifax 2019).
Location (N 53°47'39" - W 1°45'8")
Item Code: gbyh010; Photograph: 31 July 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt