United Kingdom

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Birmingham
West Midlands (county)

West Midlands

Chamberlain Square

Chamberlain Memorial

Joseph Chamberlain
Camberwell, London 1836 - Birmingham 1914
Birmingham manufacturer of screws, councillor, mayor and Member of Parliament
(Wikipedia)
Thomas Woolner
1880

Birmingham /  Chamberlain Memorial   Birmingham /  Chamberlain Memorial

Description

Neo-gothic monument - 65 feet (20 m) tall - with a 50 centimetres (20 in) portrait medallion of Chamberlain by Thomas Woolner on the south side. The carvings of the capitals and the crocketted spire were done by S. Barfield of Leicester, John Henry Chamberlain's favourite sculptor. Salviati Burke and Co. of Venice were commissioned to do the mosaics.

Inscription(s)

THIS MEMORIAL
is erected in gratitude
for public service
given to this town by
JOSEPH CHAMBERLAIN
who was elected
Town Councillor in November 1869
Mayor in November 1873,
and resigned that office in June 1876
on being returned as one of the
representatives of the Borough of
BIRMINGHAM in PARLIAMENT.
and during whose Mayoralty
many great public works
were notably advanced.
and mainly by whose ability & devotion
the Gas & Water Undertakings
were acquired for the Town
to the great and lasting benefit
of the inhabitants.

Annotation

The Memorial was erected on 20 October 1880, to commemorate the public service of Joseph Chamberlain, who was present at the inauguration ceremony. Joseph Chamberlain was a Birmingham businessman, councillor, mayor and Member of Parliament. He died in 1914. The monument was designed by John Henry Chamberlain (no relation), a personal friend and municipal architect.

Birmingham - Chamberlain Memorial

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 52°28'47" - W 1°54'15")

Item Code: gbwm051; Photograph: 24 June 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt