United Kingdom

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Lichfield
Staffordshire

West Midlands

Museum Gardens

Captain Edward Smith

Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent 1850 - North Atlantic Ocean 1912
Captain of RMS Titanic
Kathleen Scott
1914

Lichfield /  Captain Edward Smith   Lichfield /  Captain Edward Smith

Description

Bronze statue of Captain Smith wearing his naval hat, arms folded across his naval greatcoat, looking towards the right.

Inscription(s)

Capt. of R.M.S. Titanic
commander
EDWARD JOHN SMITH, RD., RNR.
born january 27 1850 died april 15 1912
bequeathing to his countrymen
the memory & example of a great heart
a brave life and a heroic death
"be british"

Signature

K. SCOTT sc.

Information Sign

Commander Edward John Smith RD RNR (1850-1912)
Captain of the White Star liner "Titanic"

Captain Smith was the officer in command of RMS Titanic. He died on 15 April
1912 alongside more than 1,500 people when his ship sank after striking an
iceberg on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York.
The 7'8" (2.34 m) statue is made of bronze and set on a plinth of Cornish granite.
It was sculpted by Lady Kathleen Scott - the widow of Scott of the Antarctic.
Although Captain Smith was born in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, Lichfield was considered
a more accessible place for the statue. The location may also have been
chosen because Lichfield was the cathedral city of the diocese that covered Hanley.
The statue was unveiled at Beacon park on 29 July 1914 by Captain Smith's daughter,
Helen Melville Smith, in front of many distinguished guests, including Lady Scott.
The 'Be British" inscription on the statue was reported one of the last phrases
Captain Smith was heard to speak.

Lichfield District Council 2011

Lichfield - Captain Edward Smith

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 52°41'0" - W 1°49'58")

Item Code: gbwm038; Photograph: 7 June 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt