Iron statue of a bare-headed man in waistcoat, shirt and trousers leaning over the letter 'o' of the word Telford. He holds a top hat in his hands. His discarded coat hangs on the letter 'd'.
Signed (on the back of the dot after the letter 'd': glynwed foundries
founder president of the institution of civil engineers
surveyor of public works for shropshire
sculptor – andré wallace – 1988
the THOMAS TELFORD sculpture
was unveiled by
Mr. H.W.A. FRANCIS president of the
institution of civil engineers
Mr. R.D. HARRIS glynwed foundries
Mr. A. NAGAI hitachi maxell ltd.
Dr. T.S. LIN tatung company
8th april 1988
The new town was named after him in 1968.
- André Wallace (Somerset 1947), British sculptor.
Sources & Information
- Public Monument and Sculpture Association National Recording Project, Record.
Location (N 52°40'40" - W 2°27'4")
Item Code: gbwm021; Photograph: 24 October 2009
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt