United Kingdom

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire

South West England

Promenade

Neptune's Fountain

Poseidon (Ποσειδῶν) in Greek, or Neptunus, in Roman mythology
god of water and the sea
(Wikipedia: Poseidon and Neptune)
Joseph Hall & R. L. Boulton & Sons
1893

Cheltenham /  Neptune's Fountain   Cheltenham /  Neptune's Fountain

Description

Stone sculpture showing Neptune in his shell-chariot drawn by four sea-horses and accompanied by two shell-blowing mermen.

Annotation

Unveiled 30 October 1893. An article in the Birmingham Daily Post about the opening:
Opening of the Promenade Fountain.
Yesterday the Mayoress (Mrs. J. C. Griffith) formally opened the ornamental fountain which the Corporation have erected in the Promenade, opposite the Imperial Rooms, and on a site presented to the town by the Committee of the School of Art. In the centre of the fountain is a group of statuary, representing Neptune and his attendants. Neptune appears with flowing hair, seated in a chariot made of a shell, and drawn by sea-horses. He is clothed in a mantle, and holds in his hand the trident, emblem of his power, with which he commands the waves. On either side of him play sea nymphs and tritons, sounding the trumpets of shells. The figure of Neptune is of heroic proportions, and the horses are characterised by great vigour of action. The entire structure is surrounded by balusters, and at various points are vases – too numerous in the opinion of some – filled with flowers. The statuary is in Portland stone, and the whole work was designed by the borough surveyor (somewhat on similar lines to the great piece of statuary in Rome), and executed by Messrs. Boulton and Sons, local sculptors. The Mayors in inviting the Mayoress to open the fountain, explained that this work is only part of a scheme for beautifying the Promenade, and that the long garden in front of Promenade Terrace was about to be converted into an Italian garden, with ornamental railings and with a pretty band-stand in the centre. The Mayoress then declared the fountain opened, and turn on the water. Hearty cheers were given as the stream shot into the air, and the Town Band played the National Anthem. A large crowd witnessed the ceremony.

Sculptors

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 51°53'54" - W 2°4'42")

Item Code: gbsw007; Photograph: 23 July 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt

Your banner here? Click for information.