United Kingdom

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Reading
Berkshire

South East England

Path along River Kennet

History of the Huntley & Palmer site

artist unknown
1992?

Reading /  History of the Huntley & Palmer site   Reading /  History of the Huntley & Palmer site

Description

Tablet with six circular reliefs showing scenes of history of the site where the factory of Huntley & Palmers Biscuit factory stood.

Reading - History of the Huntley & Palmer site
The Early Settlement
The settlement of Reading began in the seventh century AD. in Saxon times, probably around the site of St. Mary's Church. People would have used the Huntley & Palmer site for catching wild fowl and fishing.
Reading - History of the Huntley & Palmer site
The Viking Fort
The Vikings raided into Southern England and set up their winter camp in 870 on the land between the present Town Hall and the Prison.
Reading - History of the Huntley & Palmer site
Reading Abbey
Reading Abbey was founded in 1121 by King Henry 1 on the Higher ground to the left of this platform where it is believed the Viking Fort had been. The King was buried in the Abbey Church in 1136. The Abbey was dissolved in 1539 and now only the ruins remain.
Reading - History of the Huntley & Palmer site
The Kennet and Avon Canal
The Kennet and Avon Canal which runs beside this platform was completed in 1810 to take barges from London to Bristol. After falling into disuse, it was reopened in 1990.
Reading - History of the Huntley & Palmer site
Prison
The prison was first constructed in 1793 and rebuilt in 1844 as Reading Gaol where a notable internee at the end of the nineteenth century was Oscar Wilde.
Reading - History of the Huntley & Palmer site
Huntley & Palmer
Huntley and Palmers established their biscuit-making factory on this site in 1846 and by 1873 claimed it was the largest of its kind in the World. The factory finally closed in 1976 and the company was taken over by Nabisco.

The Site
The Site was acquired by Kumagai Gumi UK Limited in conjunction with Ranelagh Developments and an office development of 180,000 sq.ft. created and let by the Prudential Assurance Company Limited in 1992.
Further information on the history of the site can be obtained from the Museum of Reading.

Sculptor

Tags

Location (N 51°27'20" - W 0°57'42")

Via the links below you can find the position:

The maps or satellite photos appear in a new window
OpenStreetMap map
Bing Maps map satellite hybrid
Google Maps map satellite hybrid
WikiMapia map

Item Code: gbse207; Photograph: 23 March 2019
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt

Bronzefiguren Kaufen

Your banner here? Click for information.