Statues - Hither & Thither
South East England
H. Young & co. (London)
Lion made of cast iron and weighing 16 tons - one of the biggest cast iron statues in the world - erected to commemorate the deaths of 329 men from the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot during the campaign in the Second Anglo-Afghan War in Afghanistan between 1878 and 1880. Named after one of the principal battles of that war, the Battle of Maiwand (27 July 1880).
The lion was originally supported on a terracotta pedestal. This was replaced with granite when the terracotta showed signed of cracking under the statue's weight.
RECORDS THE NAMES and COMMEMORATES
THE VALOUR and DEVOTION OF
XI OFFICERS and CCCXVIII NON.COM. OFFICERS
and MEN of THE LXVI BERKSHIRE REGIMENT
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY AT
GIRISHK MAIWAND and KANDAHAR
and DURING THE AFGHAN CAMPAIGN
MDCCCLXXIX – MDCCCLXXX.
history does not afford any grander
or finer instance of gallantry and
devotion to queen and country than
that displayed by the lxvi regiment
at the battle of maiwand on the
xxvii july mdccclxxx.
DESPATCH OF GENERAL PRIMROSE.
in MDCCCLXXXIV by
RESIDENTS in BERKSHIRE
AND BY THE
COMRADES and FRIENDS
OF THOSE WHOSE NAMES
ARE HERE RECORDED