Clock tower with mosaic portraits on the faces and four allegorical statues on the corners.
The portraits are flanked by columns and topped by pediments with four projecting hulls giving directions to station, to kemp-town, to the sea, and to hove,.
The allegorical figures on the corners are seated women representing the four seasons:
- queen victoria, (London 1819 - Osborne House 1901),
Queen of Great-Britain, 1837-1901
- prince of wales, later King Edward VII (London 1841 - London 1910), King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions and Emperor of India, 1901-1910 (Wikipedia).
- prince consort, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Schloss Rosenau, Coburg, 1819 - Windsor Castle 1861),
husband of Queen Victoria (Wikipedia).
- princess of wales, Alexandra of Denmark (København 1844 - Sandringham House, Norfolk 1925), wife of Edward VII (Wikipedia).
- Spring, woman with her hands on her lap, holding a ?.
- Summer, woman with flowers on her lap.
- Autumn, woman with an apple and sheaf of corn.
- Winter, woman with a veal crossing her arms in front of her chest.
This Clock Tower
was presented to the Town of Brighton
in commemoration of the
Jubilee year of the reign of
HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA
James Willing, Esq.re
The Memorial Stone was laid by the
Right Hon. Sir Arthur Otway, Bart.
on the 20th day of January 1888.
Edward Martin, Mayor.
Francis J. Tillstone, Town Clerk.
John Johnson, Architect. * J.T. Chappell, Builder
The foundation stone was laid 20 January 1888 and unveild 28 June 1888.
- Unknown artist. Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
Location (N 50°49'25" - W 0°8'36")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gbse033; Photograph: 10 August 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.