Statues - Hither & Thither
North East England
Durham Light Infantry Bugler
Alan Beattie Herriot
Statue of a bugler of the Durham Light Infantry.
DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY
dedicated to all
who served in the regiment
and in memory of
those who gave their lives
in the cause of freedom
"There may be some Regiments|
as good but I know of none better"
Montgomery of Alamein
The Bugler, in combat clothing
worn in the Korean War,
reflects the central role the
Regimental buglers played in
the Regiment's bhistory;
that 'Korea' was the final
Battle Honour awarded
to the Regiment; and that
the buglers of the 1st Battalion
The Durham Light Infantry
sounded the Cease Fire for the
Korean War in 27th July 1953
from a hill top in the front line.
The bugler is carrying
a rifle to show he is still,
first and foremost, a rifleman.
This is one of a pair of memorials
to the Regiment, the other being at
the National Memorial Arboretum.
THE DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY
The Regiment's long connection with County
Durham goes back to 1758 when the 68th
Regiment of Foot came into being with John
Lambton (whose family came from the County)
as its first Colonel. In 1808 it became the third
regiment to be converted into light infantry,
tasked with skirmishing ahead of the line,
responding to commands given by the bugle
and not the drum. Hence the cap badge.
In 1881 the link with the County was formally
recognised with the 68th becoming the 1st
battalion and the 106th (formerly the 2nd
Bombay European Light Infantry) the 2nd
battalion of The Dutham Light Infantry.
This local link was reinforced by two militia
(post 1908 Special Reserve (and five volunteer
(post 1908 Territorial) battalions. It was World
War One however, in which 37 battalions served
and 12,006 members of the Regiment were
killed, that turned this link into the exceptional
bond between County and Regiment that so
characterised it during the remainder of its
During World War Two the Regiment fought in
every theatre of the war, most notably in Burma
and, under Field Marshall Montgomery, from
El Alamein to the Rhine.
During the 210 years of its existence the
Regiment won 38 Battle Honours and 11 of its
members earned the Victoria Cross.
In 1968 the Regiment joined the other Light
Infantry Regiments to form The Light Infantry
which in 2007 was incorporated into a newly
formed regiment, The Rifles.
Via the links below you can find the position:
|The maps or satellite photos appear in a new window|
Your banner here? Click for information.