Bronze statue of Peabody, seated in a chair.
born danvers, mass, u.s.a. 18th february 1795.
died london england 4th november 1869.
american philanthropist and great benefactor
of the london poor.
accorded the honorary freedom of
the city of london, 10th july 1862.
this statue by w.w. story was unveiled on the
w.w. story inv. et sculp. | rom 1868
ferd. v. miller fudit, | münchen 1869.
- William Wetmore Story (Salem, Mass. 1819 - Vallombrosa, Italy 1895),
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of London.
- Wikipedia, Royal Exchange, London.
- George Laurence Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 92-93.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 89.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 202.
- London Remembers, Memorials.
Location (N 51°30'49" - W 0°5'11")
Item Code: gblo158; Photograph: 8 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.