Victoria Embankment / Temple Place (WC2)
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Portsmouth 1806 - London 1859
English mechanical and civil engineer who built dockyards, the Great Western Railway, a series of steamships and numerous important bridges and tunnels
Bronze statue of Brunel standing, holding a pair of dividers.
isambard kingdom brunel
born 1806 died 1859
Here erected in 1877. The monument is designed by Richard Norman Shaw.
- Baron Carlo (Charles) Marochetti (Turin 1805 - Passy 1867)
Italian-French sculptor, born in Turin, but raised in Paris as a French citizen
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- George Laurence Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 160-161.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 119.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 56.
Location (N 51°30'38" - W 0°6'54")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gblo119; Photograph: 7 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.