Bronze statue of Raikes in eighteenth-century clothes, standing, teaching from a book (the Bible) held in the left hand, while with the right hand he emphasises the lesson.
founder of sunday schools
this statue was erected
under the direction
of the sunday school union
from teachers and scholars
of sunday schools in great britain
thos. brock. Sculpt. " london 1880
drew & co. | founders
Unveiled 3 July 1880 by the Earl of Shaftesbury. Replicas were made in 1929 for the 150th anniversary of the first Sunday school, established by Raikes in Gloucester; they stand in that city and in Toronto.
- Sir Thomas Brock KCB RA (1847-1922),
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- George L. Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 310-311.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 126.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 54.
Location (N 51°30'33" - W 0°7'12")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gblo096; Photograph: 5 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.