Bronze bust on a pillar with on one side lines from The Yeoman of the Guard. Against the pillar reclines an allegorical female figure, representing griefstricken music. Around the base are musical instruments, a music score and the mask of comedy.
1842 ARTHVR 1900
is life a boon?
if so it must befal
that death whene'er he call
mvst call too soon
W. Goscombe John
Unveiled 10 July 1903 by Princess Louise.
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- George L. Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 124.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 54-55.
Location (N 51°30'34" - W 0°7'10")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gblo095; Photograph: 5 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.