Bronze statue of John Stuart Mill, sitting in a chair, stooping forward with an eager look, his right hand resting behind a book.
t. woolner sc. 1876
cox & sons founders
Unveiled 26 January 1878.
- Thomas Woolner (Hadleigh, Suffolk 1825 - London 1892),
English sculptor and poet
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- George L. Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 122-123.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 117.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 57-58.
Location (N 51°30'40" - W 0°6'44")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gblo071; Photograph: 4 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.