Victoria Embankment Gardens (WC2)
Lieutenant General Sir James Outram, 1st Baronet
Butterley, Derbyshire, 1803 - Bromley, Kent, 1873
English general who fought in the Indian Rebellion of 1857
Bronze statue, on the corners of the plinth are trophies of arms representing his Indian campaigns.
Unveiled 17 August 1871.
- Matthew Noble (Hackness near Scarborough 1817 - London 1876),
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- George L. Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 263-263.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 137.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 48.
Location (N 51°30'22" - W 0°7'23")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gblo061; Photograph: 3 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.