Statue of King George V, made of Portland stone.
w. reid dick 1947
Unveiled 22 October 1947 by George VI. Completion of the statue was delayed by the outbreak of the Second World War; the statue was stored at the quarry in Portland for the duration of the conflict.
- William Reid Dick (Glasgow 1879 - 1961),
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Wikipedia, Statue of George V, Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 76-77.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 77.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 38.
Location (N 51°29'56" - W 0°7'34")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gblo051; Photograph: 3 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.