Abingdon Street (WC2)
( New Palace Yard)
Huntingdon 1599 - Whitehall 1658
English military and political leader and later Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland
Bronze statue of Cromwell in full military attire, sword in one hand and bible the other. The statue stands on a high pedestal with lying lion in front of it.
hamo thornycroft r.a. | 1897
Unveiled 18 November 1899.
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- George L. Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 208-209.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 74-75.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 35.
Location (N 51°29'59" - W 0°7'33")
Item Code: gblo049; Photograph: 3 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.