Statue of Lincoln standing before the presidential chair. It is a replica of the statue in Lincoln Park, Chicago.
- Augustus Saint-Gaudens (Dublin 1848 - Cornish, New Hampshire 1907),
Unveiled July 1920. Initially the statue was to be erected in 1914, but this was postponed until 1917. By that time some favoured an alternative statue by George Grey Barnard; this was eventually erected in Manchester.
On Parliament Square, Westminster, are 10 statues of British and some foreign politicians.
Click here for a interactive map with the locations of the sculptures.
- Abraham Lincoln (1920)
- George Canning (1832, here 1949)
- Nelson Mandela (2007)
- Sir Robert Peel (1877)
- Benjamin Disraeli (1883)
- Edward Smith-Stanley (1874)
- Henry John Temple - Lord Palmerston (1876)
- Jan Smuts (1956)
- David Lloyd George (2007)
- Sir Winston Churchill (1973)
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Bob Speel, London sculpture.
- Wikipedia, Parliament Square.
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 228-229.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 61-62.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 35.
Location (N 51°30'2" - W 0°7'39")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: gblo039; Photograph: 3 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.