Both portals of the Church of St. Peter Mancroft are adorned with statues, added in the 19th century:
1. Virgin and Child
2. St. Peter
3. St. Paul
- (top) Virgin and Child, Saint Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ
- (left) St. Peter (possibly died AD 67), apostle, first pope; patron saint of locksmiths and confessors. Usually holding the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven in his hand
- (right) St. Paul the Apostle, (c. 5 - c. 67 ), persecuted the early followers of Jesus before switching sides and seeking to join them. He was instrumental in creating the Christian Church. He is the protector of tent-makers, theologians and the ecclesiastical press and is depicted with a sword.
5. Virgin Mary
- (left) Gabriel (Hebrew: גַּבְרִיאֵל, 'God is my strength'), archangel who serves as a messenger to humans from God
- (right) Virgin Mary.
- Unknown artist. Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 52°37'40" - E 1°17'32") (Satellite view: Google Maps)
Item Code: gbee093; Photograph: 24 October 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.