United Kingdom

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire

East of England

Trinity Street
(Gonville and Caius College)

Façade statues of St. Michael's Court

John Colton, William Harvey and sir Thomas Gresham

1903

Cambridge /  Façade statues of St. Michael's Court   Cambridge /  Façade statues of St. Michael's Court

Description

Three statues in the façade of St Michael's Court, showing Gonville & Gaius alumni.
  1. COLTON
    John Colton, or John of Tyrington (Terrington) (d. 1404), first Master of the Gonville Hall (1350-1360), Archbishop of Armagh and Chancellor of Ireland.
  2. HARVEY
    William Harvey (1578 - 1657), physician, first to describe the circulation of the blood (Wikipedia).
  3. GRESHAM
    Sir Thomas Gresham (c. 1519 - 1579), English merchant and financier (Wikipedia).

Annotation

St Michael's Court was built in 1903 by architect Aston Webb.

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 52°12'22" - E 0°7'5")

Item Code: gbee004; Photograph: 25 October 2009
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt