Signed: louis-noël 1891
a durenne Fondeur a paris
(pedestal) P. TISON / ent.eur a arras
Inaugurated on September 27, 1891 and sculpted by Louis Noël. During the First World War, on September 29, 1916, the statue was requisitioned by the Germans, believing that it was bronze. The pedestal, pitted by shrapnel remained empty for 13 years. It was not until 1926 that the town decided to ask the sculptor Dechin to recreate the statue from the original plans. The new monument was inaugurated on August 18, 1929 by Paul Painlevé, then Minister of War.
- Jules Déchin (Lille 1869 - Paris 1947),
French sculptor, designer for the firm J. Prouvost-Denonvilliers.
- Louis Noël (Ruminghem 1839 - Paris 1925),
Sources & Information
Location (N 50°6'13" - E 2°50'58")
Item Code: frnp034; Photograph: 3 June 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt