Two cast iron sculptures of a female dog and a female wolf, watching each other.
Signed: Rouilliard / 18..
The story goes that those two animals symbolise Alsace and Lorraine, but that can not be true since the sculptures were acquired before the war of 1870-71.
Grand Rond (Sculptures)
The Grand Rond (Grand Circle) or Boulingrin (Bowling Green) is a public garden southeast of the city center, built between 1752 and 1754. It has the form of a very large roundabout with four four aisles, the allées Jules Guesde, François Verdier, Paul-Sabatier and Frederic Mistral. This roundabout is so vast (4 hectares) that is transformed into an English garden in the nineteenth century.
Click here for a interactive map with the locations of the sculptures.
- Pierre Louis Rouillard (Paris 1820-Paris 1881),
French sculptor known for his sculptures of animals
Sources & Information
Location (N 43°35'46" - E 1°27'9")
Item Code: frmp054; Photograph: 2 September 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt