France

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Saint-Avold
Moselle

Lorraine

Passage des Poillus 1
(Chapelle Sainte-Croix)

Calvaire

Calvary

Calvary or Golgotha was the site, outside of ancient Jerusalems early first century walls, at which the crucifixion of Jesus occurred. In religius sculpture, a calvary is a type of monumental public crucifix with two or more adjoining statues
(Wikipedia)
16th century sculptor
16th century

Saint-Avold /  Calvaire   Saint-Avold /  Calvaire

Description

The entrance to the Chapelle Sainte-Croix is a Calvary with two large statues of the Virgin and Saint John framing the door, and a large wooden cross over the door. These statues are several move and generally attributed to the local sculptor Christophe Melling (1716-1778). However, they are from the 16th century, only the wooden cross dates from 17th century.

Saint-Avold - Calvaire Saint-Avold - Calvaire

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 49°6'19" - E 6°42'48")

Item Code: frlo210; Photograph: 28 May 2019
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt