France

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Saint-Avold
Moselle

Lorraine

Rue du Général de Gaulle
(Église Saint-Nabor)

La Foi

Faith

Pierre-François Le Roy
1767

Saint-Avold /  La Foi   Saint-Avold /  La Foi

Description

Large stone statue of the allegorical figure of Faith, holding a cross.

Together with the statue of Hope (see here), this statue was made in 1767 for the new Neoclassical portal at the West end of the Metz cathedral, designed by the architect Jacques-François Blondel. This portal was demolished in the 1890s and replaced by the neogothic portal by the architect Paul Tornow and the sculptor Auguste Dujardin (see here). The statues were placed in 1898 in Saint-Avold.

Metz - cathedral Metz - cathedral
Statues of Hope (left) and Faith (right) in the 1767 portal of the Metz Cathedral.

Inscription(s)

De Eccl.
Cathedrali Metensi
... Translata
Anno 1898

Saint-Avold - La Foi

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 49°6'11" - E 6°42'34")

Item Code: frlo205; Photograph: 28 May 2019
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt