France

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Châlons-en-Champagne
Marne

Champagne-Ardenne

Rue des Lombards
(Église Saint-Alpin)

Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin

Statues at Saint-Alpin church

Bréon
1847

Châlons-en-Champagne /  Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin   Châlons-en-Champagne /  Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin

Description

There are six statues at the front façade of Saint-Alpin church, two large statues of Saint Andrew and Saint Alpin are flanking the entrance, these statues were made in 1847 by the local sculptor Bréon and replace the 18th century statues destroyed during the Revolutions. Smaller statues of the four Evangelists are flanking the side windows.

Châlons-en-Champagne - Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin
Saint André / Andrew
apostle and the brother of Saint Peter; founder and the first bishop of the Church of Byzantium. Protector of fishermen, in particular. He is shown with a saltire cross, in accordance with the way in which he died (Wikipedia).
Châlons-en-Champagne - Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin
Saint Alpin de Châlons
bishop of Châlons, 5th century(Wikipedia).

The Four Evangelists
The four Evangelists are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Their versions of the life of Jesus - the Gospel - are included in the New Testament. In art, they are depicted with their symbols: Eagle (John), Lion (Mark), Bull (Luke) and Angel (Matthew) or just with these symbols in the so-called tetramorphe.
Châlons-en-Champagne - Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin
St. Mark with a lion
Châlons-en-Champagne - Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin
St. Matthew with an angel
Châlons-en-Champagne - Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin
St. Luke with a bull
Châlons-en-Champagne - Statues sur l'Église Saint-Alpin
St. John with an eagle

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 48°57'22" - E 4°21'42")

Item Code: frca046; Photograph: 26 May 2019
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt