Statues - Hither & Thither
Le monument Higgins-Boat
Higgins Boat Monument
HIGGINS BOAT MONUMENT
On June 6, 1944 the majority of Allied troops initially arriving on the
Normandy Beaches landed in one of two craft: the British Landing Craft
Assault (LCA) or the American Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel (LCVP).
In fact, some 1,089 LCVPs took part in D-Day.
Developed by Andrew Jackson Higgins in 1941, the LCVP was built by
Higgins Industries in New Orleans. The Higgins Boat carried up to 36 troops,
was capable of up to 12 knots and could be outfitted with a pair of Browning
M1919 machine guns. The boats were crewed by four personnel.
By the time of the Normandy landings the LCVP had been used in every
theatre of operations including Operation Torch in North Africa, landings
in Italy, and in southern France. It was also used in the Pacific theatre.
This memorial to Higgins, his boats, and the men who rode ashore in them
has been given to the people of France by the citizens of Columbus, Nebraska,
the birthplace of Andrew Jackson Higgins. The memorial here is a replica of
a memorial built in Columbus in 2001, and is also a celebration of partnership
between Columbus and Sainte Marie du Mont ... two communities tied together
by history and a heritage of freedom.
Your banner here? Click for information.