In 1907 the sculptor Hulin made a monument dedicated to the memory of the soldiers and sailors died during the war of 1870 and to Marshal Tourville. The monument was inaugurated on 15 September 1907, and was funded by the legacy of the lawyer Barbier in 1901 and a public subscription in 1906.
The monument was dominated by a bronze statue carved by Ernest Hulin, showing Tourville representative, whose family owned a house in Coutances. Two faces of the stone base show reliefs:
This bronze statue was melted during the Second World War in 1943. The socle is now "cut" in two and exposed in Jardin des Plantes.
- a sailor leaning against a broken mast with an ax in his hand, with above him the coat of arms of Coutances and the dedication a tovrville 1642-1701 and at the bottom legs de mr. barbier avocat 1901.
- young soldier lying lifeless, kissed by a winged woman, symbolizing France. It shows further the text avx soldats et marins | MORTS | povr la patrie and at the bottom sovscription pvbliqve 1906.
E. HVLIN | Scvlptevr 1907 and hvlin 1907
- Ernest Hulin (Coutances 1882 - Strasbourg 1918),
Sources & Information
Location (N 49°2'49" - W 1°26'50")
Item Code: frbn072; Photograph: 5 August 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt