Plaça de Tetuan
(Jardins del Doctor Robert)
Monument al Doctor Robert
Bartomeu Robert y Yarzábal
Tampico, Mexico 1842 - Barcelona 1902
Catalan politician, mayor of Barcelona 1899-1901
Modernist monument of stone and bronze. Shaped as a huge stone mountain topped by a stone bust of Robert and an allegory of Glory, below him are two sculpture groups:
On the lowest lever are fountains.
- (front) a bronze sculpture group of seven figures: a priest discussing with a blacksmith and a reaper, both dominated by a young poet who bears the Senyera. This group is in itself an eloquent Catalan program that associates the awakening of national sentiment (the Senyera), the poet of the Renaissance and the Catalan priest.
- (back) a stone sculpture group representing Robert's medical activities: a group of children watching a sitting woman who is comforting a crying girl. This maternal figure symbolizes the medical profession and is a kind of secular version of the aptron saint of Catalonia.
1842 - 1902
ajuntament de barcelona
monument a la memòria del dr. bertomeu robert (1841-1902)
alcalde de barcelona l'any 1899
erigit per subscripció popular l'any 1910
a la plaça de la universitat
desfet i arraconat l'any 1940
restituït l'any 1985
L'Ajuntament de Barcelona ofrena aquesta plaça a la memoria de l'arquitecte
antoni de moragas i gallissa (1913-1985)
president del FAD-Foment de les Arts Decoratives,
gran impulsor de la recuperació d'aquesta obra funtament amb les entitats integrants
de la Comissio Ciutadana per a la restitucio del Monument al Dr. Robert
Barcelona maig de 1985
City Council of Barcelona
Monument commemorating Dr. Bertomeu Robert (1841-1902)
Major of Barcelona in 1899
Erected by popular subscription in 1910
on the University Square
demolished and stowed away in 1940
re-installed in 1985
The City Council offers on this place the memory to the architect
Antoni de Moragas i Gallissà (1913-1985)
President of the FAD-Promotion of Decorative Arts,
major driver of this recovery work together with the members
of the Citizen Commission for the restoration of the monument to Dr. Robert
Barcelona May 1985
ss.mm. els reis
de la seva visita a barcelona
aquest monument al dr. robert
a l'emplacament actual.
14 de Maig, 1985
Their Majesties the King and Queen
on the occasion
of their visit to Barcelona
this monument for Dr. Robert
on its present location
14 May 1985
Monument erected by public subscription and dedicated to the mayor of Barcelona, Bartomeu Robert. The monument was designed by Lluis Domènech i Montaner - major of Barcelona - but he abandoned the project because of disagreements with the league. The sculptor Josep Llimona finished the Domenech's project. He are also made the stone and bronze sculptures, allegorical to the arts, trades and Catalonia. It was built between 1904 and 1910 and was originally located in University Square. Dismantled and removed by the Francoist authorities in 1940, the sculptures were almost all preserved. This allowed to reconstruct the monument, this time located on Tetuan square, where it was inaugurated on 11 May 1985.
- Josep Llimona i Bruguera (Barcelona 1864 - Barcelona 1934),
Sources & Information
- Santiago Izquierdo Ballester, Las políticas de memoria histórica en Barcelona: el monumento al doctor Robert, Univ. Oberta de Catalunya (PDF on-line).
- Pobles de Catalunya, Barcelonès.
Locatie (N 41°23'41" - E 2°10'32") (Satellite view: Google Maps)
Item Code: escy066; Photograph: 6 September 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.