Tile tableau showing the Byzantine icon of the Mother of Perpetual Help - the Virgin Mary holding Jesus Christ with two angels watching over them in a golden background.
The image depicts the following symbols:
At the sides and below the text ave maria | gratia plenum dominus tecum (the beginning of the Hail Mary prayer in Latin).
- The Blessed Virgin Mary — wearing a dress of dark red, in Byzantine iconography the color of the empress, the Queen.
- The subject shows Mary looking towards the faithful, while pointing at her son, Jesus Christ who is frightened by the instruments of crucifixion and is depicted with a fallen sandal.
- The left side is Saint Michael Archangel — carrying the lance and sponge of the crucifixion of Jesus.
- On the right side is Saint Gabriel Archangel carrying a 3-bar cross and nails.
- The Virgin Mary has a star on her forehead signifying her role as Star of the Sea while the cross on the side has been claimed as referring to the Greek monastery which produced the icon.
f. pelaez S'artef. sevilla 88
- S'artef Cerámica Artística, Tomares, Sevilla, founded by Manuel Soto Carretero and Facundo Peláez Jaén
Location (N 28°29'24" - W 16°19'13")
Item Code: esca659; Photograph: 3 February 2020
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.