Four square based pillars made of masonry, crowned by a frieze with two oval holes filled with green glass, the cat's eyes, above these eyes triangles form the ears. On one side metal rods represent the whiskers of the cat.
The Monument to the cat was placed here in 1973 for the 1st International Exhibition of Street Sculptures. It is a reproduction of a sculpture by Óscar Domínguez for the Count of Noailles in 1952-55, which is currently in the Castle Hyéres in France. The reproduction was made through plans and photographs of the original.
- Óscar Manuel Domínguez Palazón (La Laguna 1906 - Paris 1957),
Spanish surrealist painter and sculptor - see also plaque on his birth house
Sources & Information
- Gestor Patrimonio Cultural: Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Bienes Muebles: Escultura.
- Boletín Oficial de Canarias, no. 140, 23 July 2013, 3946 ANUNCIO de 9 de julio de 2013, por el que se incoa expediente de declaración de Bien de Interés Cultural, con la categoría de Jardín Histórico, a favor de Parque García Sanabria, en el término municipal de Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
- Ayuntamiento de Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Parque García Sanabria, Ruta de las Esculturas (PDF on-line).
- Wikipedia Commons, International Exhibition of Outdoor Sculpture in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
Location (N 28°28'20" - W 16°15'11")
Item Code: esca587; Photograph: 1 February 2020
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.