Statue of a woman holding a water jar in her right hand, standing next to a cactus.
Premio de Embellecimiento: Serie Mujer Canaria con talla
In the 1980s and 1990 this small culpture was given as 'Premio de Embellecimiento' to the municipalies in the Contest of Embellishment of the Provincial Tourist Board, respectively the Council of Gran Canaria. The objective of this contest was to stimulate and reward the work done by the City Councils, Entities and individuals that have distinguished themselves in the beautification, improvement and protection of the aesthetics of the villages of the Province.
The statue is signed j. perera on the right front of the small hill on which the woman is standing. This signature is on some copies hardly visible.
List of copies on this website:
- Agüimes, prize won in 1979 and 1983. Known as 'la Aguadora' (the water bearer).
- Cruce de Arinaga (Agüimes). Known as 'la Aguadora' (the water bearer).
- Artenara, prize won in 1997. Known as 'mujer trabajadora' (female worker).
- Arucas, date?
Lanzarote/ known as 'Mujer Canaria con talla'.
- Yaiza, 1983
- San Bartolomé, 1983
- Teguise, 1985
- Haría, date?
- Betancuria, probably 1980s. Known as 'Monumento a la Locera Majorera' (Monument to the Travelling Potter of Fuerteventura).
- José Perera Valido,
Spanish-Canarian sculptor from Telde, Gran Canaria.
Sources & Information
- Lanzarote Internacional Turismo, Esculturas.
- Catálogo arquitectónico y carta etnográfica de Teguise (Lanzarote), 2014 (PDF on-line).
Location (N 29°3'36" - W 13°33'39")
Item Code: esca463; Photograph: 20 April 2018
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt