From 9th May 1929 until 21st June 1930 in Seville the world's fair Exposicion Iberoamericana de Sevilla was held. On the Plaza de los Conquistadores wre statues placed of discoverers and conquistadores.
- Christopher Columbus, by Lorenzo Coullaut Valera. Transferred to Jerez de los Caballeros.
- Francisco Pizarro, sculpture was commissioned to Manuel Delgado Brackembury, but due to lack of time for execution, he had to subcontract Antonio Bidón. Transferred to the gardens of the Colegio Mayor Hernando Colón.
- Rodrigo de Triana, by Manuel Delgado Brackembury. Transferred to the Plaza de Chapina in Sevilla, where it stood until the 1970s. Because of the bad condition replaced by a new statue.
- Hernando de Soto. Transferred to Jerez de los Caballeros (Puerta de Burgos).
- Martín Alonso Pinzón, by Antonio Pinto Soldán. Transferred in 1944 to Palos de la Frontera.
- Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, by Francisco Marcos Díaz Pintado in subcontract of Manuel Delgado Brackembury. Transferred to Jerez de los Caballeros, where it stood until the mid-1980s in front of the Ermita de los Santos Mártires. The statue doesn't exist anymore.
- Juan Sebastián Elcano, by Antonio Bidón. Transferred to the gardens of the Colegio Mayor Hernando Colón, where is stands badly damaged.
After the exhibition the Mayor of Sevilla, Conde de Halcón, attempted to acquire the land of the Plaza de los Conquistadores from its owners, the brothers Camino, who has leased it for the duration of exposure, to keep the Plaza for Sevilla. His attempts were in vain and the the series of events that occurred with the fall of the monarchy and the proclamation of the republic with a consequent change in municipal government, were not 'helping' his plans. The municipal government decided in 1935, to suspend the purchase option on these areas and returning them to their owners. The statues were replaced to other locations.
Sources & Information
Location (N 37°21'44" - W 5°59'18")
Item Code: esan051;
Added: 16 January 2011
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt