The building Raekoja plats 20, a former bank built 1876-1879 (architect M. W. A. Roetscher), has several statues on its façades:
East façade, facing Vabeduse puistee;
first floor in niches at the corners, two zinc statues, both signed zink-giesserei / kuntze & kärgr, riga, left to right:
- Navigation: boy with anchor.
- Industry: boy with cog-wheel, hammer and pliers.
Central part of the second floor, two stone figures, left to right:
- Commerce: woman with caduceus and anchor
- Woman with vase.
South façade, facing Raekoja plats, two zinc figures on consoles, , left to right:
- Commerce: Hermes with caduceus, scythe, corn and bales of goods.
- Architecture: woman with papers, architect's tools and a cog-wheel
(click on the photo for an enlargement in a separate window.)
Sources & Information
- Tartu, Kultuuriväärtusega asjade ja -mälestiste register, Arhitektuur.
- Kultuurimälestiste riiklik register, Mälestised, No. 6906.
Location (N 58°22'50" - E 26°43'29")
Item Code: ee097; Photograph: 8 July 2013
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.