Kristus ja neli evangelisti
Christ and the four evangelists
On the façade of one of the side chapels of the Niguliste Church are five stone statues:
- (top center) Kristus / Christ
- (top left) Matteus / St. Matthew, with an angel, one of the twelve Apostles of Jesus and one of the four Evangelists. His attribute is an angel. As patron saint of book-keepers, tax collectors and security forces, he is also depicted with writing utensils
- (top right) Markus / St. Mark, with a lion, one the four Evangelists. His attribute is a lion
- (on column left) Luukas / St. Luke, with a bull, one of the four Evangelists. His attribute is an ox or bull, usually having wings
- (on column right) Johannes / St. John the Evangelist, with an eagle, conventional name for the author of the Gospel of John - considered to be the same person as John the Apostle
Locatie (N 59°26'9" - E 24°44'33") (Satellite view: Google Maps)
Item Code: ee049; Photograph: 7 July 2013
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.