Deutschland

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Gotha
Lkr. Gotha

Thüringen

Hauptmarkt 1
(Rathaus)

Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus

Façade Sculptures at the Old Town Hall

artist unknown
1897-98

Gotha /  Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus

Description

The old Town Hall of Gotha was built in 1567-77 according to the plans of the architects Caspar Mans, Christoph Götze and Nicolaus Rausch on the place of a wooden predecessor. It initially served as a shop. From 1640 to 1646, it was the residence of the first Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Ernst I, until he moved to Schloß Friedenstein, which was built at his behest. After the city fire in 1665 the building was reconstructe and converted into the town hall under architect Rudolphi. In the years 1897-98 the façade and the interior was redesigned in the style of the neo-Renaissance. Most (or all) of the façade sculptures date from this reconstruction.

The sculptures are found on the both short façades at the north and south side of the building. On the tower are four statues of virtues, described here

Two reliefs Saint Gotthard, north and south façades.

North: Above the clock in the crow-stepped gable, Saint Gotthard, flanked by a sheep and a dragon.

Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
ST. | GOTH || HAR | DVS - 1897-98
Saint Gotthard (or Godehard) (960 - 1038), bishop of Hildesheim. Patron saint of travelling merchants and of of the town of Gotha (Wikipedia).

South: In the tympan of the entrance portal.

Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus

In the second crow step of the crow-stepped gable of the north façade are two portrait medaillons.

Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
rugger...?
?
Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
bachoffen 1597
Thomas Bachofen von Echt (Cologne c. 1540 - Gotha 1597)
mayor of Gotha, when the original 1567 shop was built (Wikipedia).

In the lowest crow step of crow-stepped gable of the north façade are two reliefs and on the south façade in the corners between the tower and the façade are four allegorical reliefs.

Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
two lying figures, a nude woman and a bearded man with a fish
Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
two lying figures, a man and a woman with a child
Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
bearded man sitting and bound with a rope.
Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
woman sitting and bound with a rope

Four portrait medaillons of the Ernestine dukes between the windows of the first and second floor of the north façade.

Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
?
Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
?
Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
?
Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus
?

Three flag bearers on the top of the gable on the north side

Gotha - Fassadenskulpturen am Alten Rathaus

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 50°56'56" - E 10°42'5")

Item Code: deth014; Photograph: 20 February 2011  / updated: 11 October 2018
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt