The front façade of the St. Kastor Basilica has two sculptures:
1. St. Castor of Karden
2. Tympan with a relief of Mary Queen of Heaven
- In a niche above the entrance: St. Castor von Karden / St. Castor of Karden, priest and hermit of the 4th century (Wikipedia).
Sculptor: Gottfried Götting
- Tympan with a relief of Mary Queen of Heaven. It shows the Virgin Mary with Child on a throne, with on the left side
The sculptor of the tympanum is given as Joseph Fuchs, but that is not according to the initials P.A. on the right side of the relief.
- st. rizza - St. Rizza of Koblenz, alleged daughter of Louis the Pious.
- ludovicus pius - Ludwig der Fromme / Louis the Pious (778 - 840), King of Aquitaine from 781. He was also King of the Franks and co-Emperor (as Louis I) with his father, Charlemagne, of the Holy Roman Empire from 813 (Wikipedia).
and on the right side
- st. goar - St. Goar (c. 585 - 6 July 649), priest and hermit, patron saint of innkeepers, potters, and vine growers (Wikipedia).
- hetti epi. - Hetti / Hetto (died 847), Archbishop of Trier from 814 (Wikipedia). Built the first St. Castor Church.
(relief in tympan) P.A.
- Joseph Fuchs,
- Gottfried Götting (Düsseldorf 1840 - Aachen 1879),
Sources & Information
Location (N 50°21'44" - E 7°36'14")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: derp247; Photograph: 1 November 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.