Sankt Johannes von Nepomuk
Saint John of Nepomuk
Nepomuk c. 1345 - Praha 1393
confessor of the queen of Bohemia, refused to divulge the secrets of the confessional. At the behest of King Wenceslaus of Bohemia he was thrown from the Charles Bridge in Prague and drowned. John of Nepomuk is patron saint of bridges
Baroque stone statue of St. John of Nepomuk.
E.... DIVI | IoannIs nepoMVC | cY...
Statues of Saint John of Nepomuk
The figure of Saint John of Nepomuk is often encountered in Central and Eastern Europe, including the Czech Republic, Italy, Germany, Poland and Lithuania.
He is usually portrayed with
As additional figures there are often one of more little angels, respectively
- a halo of five stars, commemorating the stars that hovered over the Vltava River on the night of his murder, also is said that the five stars are supposed to symbolize the five letters of Latin word "tacet", which means "silent".
- a priestly dress
- the palm of martyrs
- a large crucifix, to which he is usually looking.
There are several sites listing statues of Saint John of Nepomuk:
- indicating silence by a finger over the lips,
- with a crucifix
- with the bible.
- Saxa Loquuntur, Svatý Jan Nepomucký: Svatojánské sochy v českých a moravských krajských mĕstech, in Czech
- Nepomuki, in Polish.
- Treffpunkt Schoener-Reisen, Sankt Nepomuk, der Brückenheilige , in German.
- Gerhard Eichinger, Nepomuk Sammlung [➝ Geschichte(n) ➝ Nepomuk Sammlung], in German.
- Wedigo von Wedel, www.brueckenheilige.de, in German.
Sources & Information
Location (N 51°50'36" - E 6°51'39")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: denw215; Photograph: 12 October 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.