Statues - Hither & Thither
Bongardstraße / Platz am Kuhhirten
August Schmiemann & Walter Kruse
1908 (replica 1960/61)
Statue of a cowherd with horn and staff, accompanied by his dog.
The last cowherd in Bochum drove the cattle of the citizens out of the city to the urban pasture until 1871. With the development of Bochum into a successful industrial city, the keeping of cattle in the houses in the city centre was ended and with it the daily cattle drive. In 1906, the city of Bochum commissioned the prominent sculptor August Schmiemann to create a cowherd monument as a reminder of the tranquil pre-industrial town. The monument was unveiled on the Altstadtmarkt on 29 May 1908. The monument was melted down during the Second World War. Shortly after the end of the war, the citizens of Bochum demanded the reconstruction of the old cowherd monument. On 13 January 1962, the new bronze figure was erected, created by Walter Kruse. The monument is located only a few steps away from the old site.
1908 von august schmiemann
geschaffen, im 2. welt-
1960/61 von walter kruse,
In 1908 by August Schmiemann,
created, during the Second
World War melted down.
In 1960/61 by Walter Kruse,
Your banner here? Click for information.