The memporial consists of a hall-like brick building, open on two sides, with a paved forecourt and a park, with a wall at the backside. On the back wall of the hall four metal relief metal panels are mounted, at various times They show:
- EBERHARD | RAMM
Dr. Eberhard Ramm (Nippenburg 1861 - Berlin 1935), agricultural scientist and politician, is regarded as the one who had the idea of ??using peat as fuel instead of coal to generate electric power. On his initiative a power plant was built in Wiesmoor in 1908, which started operations a year later and supplied electricity to the Naval base Wilhelmshaven, but also to surrounding villages (Wikipedia).
- KNUD NIELSEN
Knud Nielsen, first director of the Wiesmoor power plant.
- TÖNJES SCHMIDT
Tönjes Schmidt (1893 - Wiesmoor 1953), first mayor of Wiesmoor after World War II, from 1946-1952.
- JAN HINRICHS.
Jan Hinrichs (1887-1974), became in 1921 the successor of Knud Nielsen as director of power plant. After the Second World War the settlement Hinrichsfehn was founded on his initiative. In 1954 he was made an honorary citizen of Wiesmoor.
Over the entire width of the wall is a banner with the inscription:
Dem Arbeiter der Stirn und der Faust, der die schlummernde Kraft des Moores geweckt und das Leben erschließt
In the back wall of the hall and in the wall along the park are several brick reliefs showing birds, a horse, a ship, fish, dogs, and flowers, and some geometrical patrons.
(Ramm) KW 1939
(Nielsen) AMS 78
In de park is a memorial for the prisoners of war, which has no relation with the Founders Memorial.
- Unknown artist. Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
Location (N 53°24'46" - E 7°43'58")
Item Code: dens250; Photograph: 29 April 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt