Stone column, crowned by the bronze German Imperial crown.
- At the top of the column four portraits,
- (front portrait bust) Kaiser Wilhelm I (Berlin 1797 - id. 1888), King of Prussia (since 1861) and German Emperor (since 1861) (Wikipedia).
- (back portrait bust) Kaiser Friedrich III (Potsdam 1831-Potsdam 1888), King of Prussia and German Emperor from 9 March to 15 June 1888 (Wikipedia).
- (left portrait medallion) Otto Fürst von Bismarck (Schönhausen 1815 - Friedrichsruh bei Hamburg 1898), German imperial chancellor from 1862 to 1890 (Wikipedia).
- (right portrait medallion) Helmuth Graf von Moltke (Parchim 1800 - Berlin 1891), Generalfeldmarschall (Wikipedia).
- On the steps at the frond side, a statue of Heinrich Schaper (Oesdorf 1847-1884), who saved the bataillon's flag in the battle of Longny-Poupy and was therefore awarded the Iron Cross. He is paying tribute to Wilhelm I.
- On the sides are reliefs:
- Krieg / War - the death of Major von Lengerke in the Battle of Longny-Poupry, 2 December 1870 ("am / 2 Dez. 1870 / in den Schlacht bei / Longny-Poupry / fiel im Kampfe / Major von Lengelke / Fus. Bat. Reg. 83").
- Frieden / Peace - a veteran telling his story to his family,
- On a back a tablet with names: 1870-71 / feldzugstheilnemer v. kreis pyrmont.
F Volke / 1897 (several places)
Aktien-Gesellschaft / vormals H. Gladenbeck u. Sohn / Berlin-Friedrichshagen.
- Friedrich Volke,
German sculptor born in Mengeringhausen in Waldeck.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 51°59'2" - E 9°15'14") (Satellite view: Google Maps)
Item Code: dens048; Photograph: 16 August 2009
/ updated: 4 March 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.